Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

WRFD401 Shack

Anytone 6666 10/11 Meter,

CSI 2 Meter / GMRS / DMR,

Yaesu 991A All Band,

President Washington CB and a Uniden BCT15X

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20221024_214936_1.jpg
WRVD487 and WRXC419 have reacted to this post.
WRVD487WRXC419
Quote from WRFD401 Ray on October 24, 2022, 9:54 pm

Anytone 6666 10/11 Meter,

CSI 2 Meter / GMRS / DMR,

Yaesu 991A All Band,

President Washington CB and a Uniden BCT15X

That's a pretty nice looking setup! I've noticed you are rocking the Galaxy Echo Mic as well! Or is that a Sadelta? They both look exactly the same and I had the Sadelta Echo Master Plus in the past. That Pres you have there is a beast!

I currently have a Galaxy Saturn Turbo with an Astatic EchoMax 2000 (not hooked up currently), a President 2510 with a D-104 in the mobile, and newly added is a Chinese branded Dual  Band Transceiver TM-8118 in the mobile and also in the home. Currently awaiting delivery is a set of Baofeng UV-82's.

My wife and I are just starting out with GMRS. I've been monitoring different frequencies to get the hang of how people talk and learn how things work. I am so confused with how repeaters work and the nodes that I hear of. I think I have an idea but I'm still lost. I've listened in on the Rag Chew and I'm amazed on how everyone can communicate on GMRS as if they are all in the same room. I've DX'ed on CB but...wow what a difference! I wish I can communicate with my wife at home like that while I'm driving to and from work but we are not allowed to have an external antenna, (hence why my Turbo isn't hooked up right now).

I ended up installing a Diamond X30A on our second floor porch, from the inside though because installing it on the outside of the porch will cause issues with my landlord.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and thank you for accepting my request to join the NA Repeater. Hope to speak with you on the air soon!

Best regards,

Armando WRVD487.

Armando Welcome to GMRS and New England GMRS Network.

Yes thats a Galaxy Echo, I really don't care for it that much, my go to mic is the Delta M2, I never received a bad report from it. You can't go wrong with the D-104 that is for sure. I always like the Galaxy Saturn but never got one, but you never know what could show up in the shack 🙂

GMRS has a pretty short range not like the CB. The way we make it work is by linking all the stations together via the internet. So right now we have 3 repeaters, N. Providence, N. Attleboro and New Bedford. We also have 2 high powered simplex nodes. Mine in Rehoboth and Dave's in Cranston. They are open for anyone with a license to use. The rest are low powered simplex nodes, less then 1 watt. When you are driving about you most likely will be able to get into the network from a repeater or high powered node.

At the base you may want to think about getting a low powered node. You will need to get a Raspberry pi and then ship it to hotspotradio.com, Marshall over there will do the rest and ship it back. Plug it in and your good to go. The node talks to the network and you talk to the node with your Baofeng.

Another way you can get in is with the DVSwitch app installed on your Android phone. With DVSwitch you can get in anywhere anytime, and the wife may be more receptive to a phone app then a radio.

If have have any questions, you can call out on the radio or post them here.

Ray WRFD401

Quote from WRFD401 Ray on November 19, 2022, 11:59 am

Armando Welcome to GMRS and New England GMRS Network.

Yes thats a Galaxy Echo, I really don't care for it that much, my go to mic is the Delta M2, I never received a bad report from it. You can't go wrong with the D-104 that is for sure. I always like the Galaxy Saturn but never got one, but you never know what could show up in the shack 🙂

GMRS has a pretty short range not like the CB. The way we make it work is by linking all the stations together via the internet. So right now we have 3 repeaters, N. Providence, N. Attleboro and New Bedford. We also have 2 high powered simplex nodes. Mine in Rehoboth and Dave's in Cranston. They are open for anyone with a license to use. The rest are low powered simplex nodes, less then 1 watt. When you are driving about you most likely will be able to get into the network from a repeater or high powered node.

At the base you may want to think about getting a low powered node. You will need to get a Raspberry pi and then ship it to hotspotradio.com, Marshall over there will do the rest and ship it back. Plug it in and your good to go. The node talks to the network and you talk to the node with your Baofeng.

Another way you can get in is with the DVSwitch app installed on your Android phone. With DVSwitch you can get in anywhere anytime, and the wife may be more receptive to a phone app then a radio.

If have have any questions, you can call out on the radio or post them here.

Ray WRFD401

Ray,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Those Delta mics are awesome as well! I actually know the guy who owns Delta. Haven't spoken to him in years since I moved away from New York though but he's a great guy and does fantastic work. He has never failed me in the past when I had some work done with my radios.

Thank you for all the info you have provided. All that linking and node stuff sounds a little complicated, but eventually I will figure it out. I am eager to learn how all this works and gain a better understanding.

My wife actually prefers radio. She's also a CB'er as myself and actually, CB is how we met 24 years ago back in New York. It's a shame CB isn't the same anymore as it was back then. I still have my President 2510 hooked up to the mobile. Channel 21 (or is it 22?) has some locals who I casually just listen in while I'm driving and monitor channel 19 when I drive to and from New York. I still have family there.

We just recently started having interest in GMRS but my wife is not tech savvy and I'm the only one who handles all the dirty work, which I love to do.

I will definitely be in touch if I need any help figuring something out. Thanks again!

Best Regards,

Armando WRVD487.