Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

HSR Nodes Overheating

As the weather is warming up, these HSR Nodes are getting hotter. It's highly recommended to keep them cool for best performance. Heat is your worse enemy for all electronics. You can easily monitor the HSR Node's temperature from the Supermon page.

I found a dual mini fan that can be mounted on both ends of the HSR Node and both fans are powered by one USB plug which you can utilize one of the USB ports on the node. I just have to figure out a way to mount these to the node with out damaging the HSR casing. Zip ties perhaps? Not sure yet but for those of you that has an HSR Node, this may be a good solution to keep them cool, especially if it's used in the mobile like I use mine.

I know it will just circulate hot air but hopefully this works while I'm driving with the AC on. I keep my node under the drivers seat away from the sun. Air is always cooler down low as heat rises so having at least one mini fan on it should help.

Purchase the Dual USB Fan here.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot_20230506-152654-949.png
WRXC419 has reacted to this post.
WRXC419

I have used similar setup on my nodes and it works very well. I like that it is powered from the pi itself.

Warm weather is here so I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my node cool while in the car. The 40mm fans would work but I'm trying to figure out how to mount it on the node. I don't want to modify or damage the HSR case.

I have found several other 40mm USB powered fans on Amazon that are a much better deal than what I mentioned before.

I have a question Ray, on the Pi 2 and 3b plus, there are two heat sinks on top and one on the bottom. The top ones are covered by the HSR board. Which side of the node would get hotter? Would it be best to mount the fan on top, bottom, or both sides? My guess would be both sides. Have one pulling air in from the bottom and the other pulling air out from the top. I can find a way to elevate the node to accommodate the bottom fan.

I was thinking to use a drop of hot crafting glue on four corners of the fan to the HSR case. The hot glue would not damage the case and it is easily removable if needed. Or use zip ties. Not sure how I'm gonna go about it yet. I have even thought about taking the Pi and the HSR board out the clear case and building my own custom case with the fans built in, but I really don't want to take it apart as it looks really nice and compact. Any tips or ideas?

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Whatever works is the way to go. I think the heat sinks are important and I always buy cases that include them.

Here is a link to my favorite case, it comes with the little fan and the heat sinks. To bad the little fan can not be fitted with the HSR Hat installed.

The phot0 below is a Pi 4 sitting on a fan. Works good.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20230507_190201_6.jpg
  • IMG_20230507_190212_1.jpg
WRVD487 has reacted to this post.
WRVD487

I thought of the same exact way with the fan at the bottom but was concerned with the top part which is the radio board. That gets hot as well with traffic. That's why I figured maybe the dual USB fans would work in this scenario but with 40mm fans with rubber feet at the bottom to elevate the node.

The attached photo shows my base node with one of those USB fans on it's side so there's air circulation on top and bottom. With heavy traffic, temps are 115 degrees or lower. I'm in the process of moving so I will do something better at my new place.

I like how your node is set up. How would you access the power button though? Through that whole I see below the antenna?

By the way, you forgot to include that link to the case... 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20230504_030354210.jpg