Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Emergency Communications

Page 1 of 2Next

Myself and some others on the network have been thinking of Emergency Communications. We have this great network and it is growing every month. What is our obligation during an emergency? Do we just sit there silent or should we do more. I think we should do more, but I can't do it alone. If you are interested in helping out, I think we need to ponder the following.

• What is our mission plan
  • Where is the EOC
  • What happens during an isolated internet outage
  • What happens during a wide area internet outage
  • Do we actively encourage the community to purchase radios
  • How do we get messages to each other when phones and internet are down
  • Do we work with local public safety or leave that to the HAM community.

And I have many more questions.

I eagerly wait for everyone's input on this subject.

Thx

Ray

WRPB633, WRTK330 and WRXC419 have reacted to this post.
WRPB633WRTK330WRXC419

Ray,

You’re questions are valid. I think in an emergency I’d be monitoring frequencies  assisting if possible.

At this moment I’m not quite ready for a long power outage..

Generally speaking, I believe that having the privilege to operate on frequencies it’s almost a responsibility to assist as needed.

WRFD401 Ray and WRTK330 have reacted to this post.
WRFD401 RayWRTK330

Ray:

As you know, I'm in the public safety sector.  The EOC is important, because it'll act as "net control".

I'm willing to assist, if possible.

Is it possible to link with amateur radio operators, in emergency situations, and/or assist with the local EMA in Norton?

I've the capability to have mobile internet during a long-term power outage.

WRPB633, WRTK330 and WRXC419 have reacted to this post.
WRPB633WRTK330WRXC419
Quote from WRPB633 on November 20, 2022, 12:50 am

Ray,

You’re questions are valid. I think in an emergency I’d be monitoring frequencies  assisting if possible.

At this moment I’m not quite ready for a long power outage..

Generally speaking, I believe that having the privilege to operate on frequencies it’s almost a responsibility to assist as needed.

Monitoring is important, but let's say we hear there is a vehicle stuck in the snow with an infant onboard. Do we forward the info to the Police/Fire or do we try to assist?   Unless we are equipped properly we could end up making things worse. It is tuff to hear someone calling for help and reply "The Police have been notified" but like I said that may be the best we can do.

WRPB633 and WRTK330 have reacted to this post.
WRPB633WRTK330
Quote from WRKZ303 on November 22, 2022, 5:19 am

Ray:

As you know, I'm in the public safety sector.  The EOC is important, because it'll act as "net control".

I'm willing to assist, if possible.

Is it possible to link with amateur radio operators, in emergency situations, and/or assist with the local EMA in Norton?

I've the capability to have mobile internet during a long-term power outage.

If you could act as EOC, that would be great. If you can't because of work obligations, we will need a backup EOC. Any volunteers? Reliable internet would be needed.

If the internet is up for me, and that's a big if, I can link to the Norton EMA as listen only. I have monitored over there before during weather events and have not heard anything. I don't know how active they are.

WRTK330 has reacted to this post.
WRTK330

I would be happy to help out. I am a licensed ham radio operator and I also have my gmrs license. I am currently a member of my local ARES team. As well as I am a member of another humanitarian, search &rescue, disaster response organization. I am actually currently writing up a comms plan for that group. So if y'all need help I am happy to step up. Just let me know.

Quote from WRTK330 on January 22, 2023, 8:31 pm

I would be happy to help out. I am a licensed ham radio operator and I also have my gmrs license. I am currently a member of my local ARES team. As well as I am a member of another humanitarian, search &rescue, disaster response organization. I am actually currently writing up a comms plan for that group. So if y'all need help I am happy to step up. Just let me know.

Thank you very much for the offer, you sound like you are well versed in emergency communications. I may take you up on your offer, but we will have to see how many people can participate and how much time they can dedicate to training.

WRTK330 has reacted to this post.
WRTK330

Not a problem. I completely understand. Just let me know as I said I am more then happy to help out. And that goes for more then just the emergency comms. If there is anything you need help with I am here. This is a very neat program that y'all have started and I would be honored to contribute to it's success in anyway I can. So please feel free to reach out at any time.

WRFD401 Ray has reacted to this post.
WRFD401 Ray

Very good idea. GMRS is not only a hobby, but a ways of communication when the grid fails. By the way, I noticed you're in Olathe KS. My daughter lives in Harrisonville, MO

Mike WRFV876

WRFD401 Ray has reacted to this post.
WRFD401 Ray

What do you guys think of the radiorelay.org Community Watch Program?

Community Level: As with the National SOS Radio Network, the RRI Neighborhood Radio Watch ("Neighborhood Hamwatch") program is designed to support local volunteer organizations active in disaster response (VOADs). RRI, in cooperation with local amateur radio clubs, trains local VOADs to efficiently use and deploy basic, survivable communications systems built on FRS and GMRS interoperable assets. These basic radio services facilitate internal communications within the organization, while radio amateurs provide a gateway from the FRS/GMRS layer to local emergency services or international networks. This "force multiplier" concept ensures efficient use of local amateur radio volunteer resources, while also providing an organized communications pathway between VOADs and local emergency management agencies or emergency services.

https://radiorelay.org.

Page 1 of 2Next